ASP Hosting sale!
Double disk space and transfer for FREE!
Limited time offer! Act Now!

aspdev | articles | tutorials | forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling random entry from a file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ASPdev.org Forum Index -> SQL Programming (MS SQL Server, MS Access, MySQL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twinkle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Pulling random entry from a file Reply with quote

I have a database of quotes and I want to pull a random entry from the database but I would like the random input to be seeded by user interaction, be it a single keystroke or even better a word.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to implement this?
mikelbeck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "seeded by user action"? You want a user to enter something and then you pull a quote that matches?
paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the current time as a unique seed. I mean the time the user clicked...
twinkle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikelbeck wrote:
What do you mean by "seeded by user action"? You want a user to enter something and then you pull a quote that matches?

Paul mentions the time as a seed, and that would work, but I want the user to feel like they are having an impact on the randomness. So I want to have them enter a short text string of whatever they want and use that to seed the random number that then pulls the entry from the database.

I guess I could just lie to the user and use the time, but I would rather just have the value of the text work as the seed, if possible.
mikelbeck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say you have 100 records in your database, you could use the seconds from the time the user entered their information to pull a record.
twinkle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikelbeck wrote:
Say you have 100 records in your database, you could use the seconds from the time the user entered their information to pull a record.

Hmm.. Okay I guess that would work. Can I not just use the ascii value (or whatever) of the text and add it together or something? Would that be possible. I honestly do not know why I am going to all the trouble, nobody would actually know except for me, but I would feel better if it worked as I presented it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ASPdev.org Forum Index -> SQL Programming (MS SQL Server, MS Access, MySQL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: