ASP Hosting sale!
Double disk space and transfer for FREE!
Limited time offer! Act Now!

aspdev | articles | tutorials | forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just getting started...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ASPdev.org Forum Index -> .NET Programming (ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikelbeck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Just getting started... Reply with quote

I've been asked to do some .net programming, but I have no .net programming experience. Are there any good books you can recommend that I should look it? Kind of like a ".NET programming for dummies" sort of thing? Wink
paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try the one below, if you are a beginner:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592000029/sr=1-3/qid=1138773675/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-1497352-5487805?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Paul
mikelbeck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"for the absolute beginner". That's me!

Thanks very much for that information.
x-raysteve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading is bad for you. I like to eschew book learning and just try to pick up examples and tips on the net. Sometimes it can be good to just get pre-existing scripts, preferably something that has an interest to you, and then learn it inside and out.

Works for me!
mikelbeck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x-raysteve wrote:
Reading is bad for you. I like to eschew book learning and just try to pick up examples and tips on the net. Sometimes it can be good to just get pre-existing scripts, preferably something that has an interest to you, and then learn it inside and out.

Works for me!

I like to do it both ways. First I like to have a book I can read and get a general idea of what I'm doing, then I look around for examples to get a better understanding of it. Then I just right in and try it out, then go back to the book and/or examples to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
x-raysteve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I learned many different languages over the years with a book first, but I think as I have gotten older I have gotten more lazy. Now I just like to jump in with something working and then force myself to learn how to do things.

The best way is to break it, and then you have to figure out how to fix it. Smile
Colda Brama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some dvd and cd courses that are good as well. I posted a link to one in another thread where someone asked about them.

You can check out the dvd here:

http://www.appdev.com/prodfamily.asp?catalog_name=AppDevCatalog&category_name=ASPNProduct2
paul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding articles online, can help you learn faster sometimes. The easiest way to learn is to start writing ASP.NET web applications. Very soon you'll get familiar with the whole concept and from that point on it will be much easier.

Paul
Necron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x-raysteve wrote:

Works for me!

Reading isn't bad at all.

Whilst practical experience is a necessity, you absolutely need to read in depth about programming theory, as well as database design, if you want to be a good .Net programmer.

Simply going in and doing it without any knowledge of the concepts of programming theory is just asking for trouble and will only lead you to a dead end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ASPdev.org Forum Index -> .NET Programming (ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: