ASP Hosting sale!
Double disk space and transfer for FREE!
Limited time offer! Act Now!

aspdev | articles | tutorials | forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using external DNS servers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ASPdev.org Forum Index -> ASP and ASP.NET Hosting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Using external DNS servers Reply with quote

Hi,

I have heard that it's better to use external DNS servers for your domain. I mean if you host with host whatever-host.com, instead of using ns1.whatever-host.com and ns2.whatever-host.com, you use an independent managed DNS service provider like zoneedit.

What do you think? Has anybody used managed DNS services? If you have which DNS provider have you used?

Thanks,

Jon
Don

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having independent DNS provider will help you minimize downtime, especially if you switch your host frequently. I'm planning on trying this myself with 2 of my domains and I'll post my experience here.

Don
Stitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used zoneedit before, and honestly it just confuses me.

I stick with my same old host, so I have no need for it, but like don said, it's useful if you're switching your host frequently.
x-raysteve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only used my webhosts dns to-date. I have considered going to a seperate dns system where I use multiple providers. Have not worked out in my head yet, but when I heard of a recent outage because a hosts dns got taken down, it took all the sites hosted by them offline even though the actual sites themselves were fine.

That is a very weak link in my opinion.
twinkle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem using a hosts default DNS. I had never heard of someone having problems like those mentioned with all the sites going down, but I could see how it might happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ASPdev.org Forum Index -> ASP and ASP.NET Hosting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: